Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Post On Health

I was introduced to the concept of raw food long long ago when I met my amazing midwife Rachel Talley.  She was apprenticing at the time for my midwife with my first birth and we just instantly connected.  After my daughter was born I remember her talking to my aunt about raw food and how it saved her life, or something to that matter.  I was a little woozy, so it I'm sure I didn't pick it all up.  

 So, basically, if you ever meet a raw foodist, or are wondering what the heck that means, it is a vegan diet of whole uncooked fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and anything else deemed as basically grown from the earth. 
It is also referred to as a living diet because this diet is rich in living enzymes.  Once you cook a food over 120 degrees(I think this is accurate, if not, its close) you are killing the enzymes that are in it.  Why are enzymes so important you ask?  Well, enzymes are responsible for digesting our food.  Our body does make enzymes, but when we eat too much cooked foods we deplete our bodies supply of enzymes.  A diet rich in living foods is also going to have all of the vitamins and minerals that your body needs and doesn't get from the traditional diet.  This is just the tip of the iceberg.  There is so much more that I just don't want to type. :)  Bottom line is it is super healthy.  Google it, and read all the amazing stories of how people changed their health around by eating raw. I think I may even have a few blog links to the right if anyone is interested.  Some really good documentaries to watch on the health subject are Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, Food Matters, and Forks Over Knives.  Those are all on Netflix!
So this brings us to me.  I have had health problems for a while now.  Nothing too serious, (yet anyway) but enough for it to make life uncomfortable.  I have been revamping my diet for about 5 years now to attempt to make things better, and I have!  I took out the white bread and added wheat, I added more fruits and vegetables to my diet, I doubled my water intake, cut out processed boxed foods, substituted milk for almond milk, I try to cook whole foods and use all natural products without fillers and toxic stuff. You name it, I probably did it! 

So, the thing that I noticed that made the most difference was eating more raw foods, so that's what I'm going to attempt even further.  My lovely friend Rachel is having a raw foods class tonight at her house and I am getting pretty excited!  She is the queen of making raw foods delicious and some even taste like healthy versions of the things you eat every day.  I actually made a raw cheesecake(yes, you read that right) last week that was delicious!

My goal is health, pure and simple.  I'd also like to pass that message on to my kids, and anyone else who is listening.

Happy Eating!

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya! I definitely need to eat more raw. The thing is, I've read all of this from various places, watched the documentaries and feel pretty confident in my knowledge, but I still eat like crap even when I know better. hahaha! When I go off the wagon though, I totally pay for it with bad digestion, bloating, tiredness, and headaches. Eating better makes all the difference...I can attest to that! Everyone needs this info.

    ReplyDelete