Friday, October 5, 2012

The Pursuit of Passion, or Unjobbing

My husband works a low stress job that pays decent, and we are really content with where we are at in life. You'd think we would just sit and enjoy, but....its just not enough!  Aaron wants nothing more than to be able to be with the kids and watch them grow up.  He misses so much of their lives!  He came home from work one day and told me that he figured he was missing 54% of their lives.  This is pretty typical, and even good for some fathers.  I am sure there are fathers out there that work even more hours and miss even more of their kids' lives.  We just don't want typical anymore!  Not only that, but Aaron doesn't really enjoy what he does.  He doesn't hate it, but because he is there all day he doesn't have time to do anything he wants.  When he gets home he just wants to spend time with us since he hasn't seen us all day.  Our kids are pretty cute too, so I don't blame him. ;)  

This doesn't mean in any way, shape, or form that Aaron is lazy.  He not only goes to work 8 hours a day, but he takes care of the yard (if you have a house, you know this can be a lot of work), takes care of all the mechanical problems with the cars, and a whole host of other fix it kind of things.  He is my handy man.  We like to call him a jack of all trades.  So, unjobbing isn't about sitting at home doing nothing all day.  It is about finding what you love and making a career out of it.  I even used to hear this in school.  A job is an in between before you find your career.  And, there are probably people out there that would love to make a career out of things that other people see as just jobs.  Unjobbing will look different for each individual because each individual has different interests and passions.

I am sure you have heard about pursuing your passion before, especially if you read my blog.  So, we have been trying to figure out what that is for us.  We have plenty of things that interest us.  Peaceful Parenting, Unschooling, woodworking, Aaron's new one is programming, etc.  So the question we were asking ourselves was how are we going to make money with said passions? I actually called a friend up because Aaron is wanting to learn more about the stock market, and I thought he might have some useful contacts for us.  Instead he gave me better advice.   He told me to really try to figure out our passions and don't worry about the money.  ???  Right?  At least, that's what Aaron thought.  I can see how this would be a major issue with someone who takes care of the family. You can't just quit your job to do what you want when you have people who depend on you!  This friend told me a passion is something that the more you do it the more you love it, and...this is key people, that you would still do it even if no one was paying you to.
   YES!!!  YES, YES, YES!
   I totally got it!  Here I was trying to help Aaron figure out what his passion was and not thinking at all about mine, because I couldn't separate making money from what I love to do.  My passion is, and has always been to sing.  
Ever since I can remember I have wanted to be a singer.  Then, somewhere along the line, I learned that this just isn't a practical pursuit.  So I chased it as a hobby, but then, once I left high school I realized I would have to get a real job.  So I went to school and tried to figure out what I wanted to major in.  I think, to date, I have changed it about 7 times.  Nothing seemed to hold my interest for long, and in the mean time I missed singing.  It wasn't until I had this conversation with my friend that I realized I wanted to sing again.  If you want something to happen, you first have to see it as an option!  If you write off the idea, you will never know if it would have worked out or not.  You miss 100% of the shots you don't take!

So here I am, looking up talent agencies in Utah, trying to find a good vocal coach, and teaching myself how to play the guitar.  In high school I was somewhat shy and wasn't really sure if I was a good singer, and now, I don't hold back!  Even I am surprised at what comes out my mouth when I sing these days.  I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I am pretty good. (toot, toot)

  I can't tell you how excited I am about all this!!  I don't know what is going to happen, and I have no idea if I will make any money doing this, but it feels so good to be singing again and thinking of the possibilities of my future.  

My hope now is that we can figure the same thing out for Aaron as well!

What about you?  What are your passions?  Did you ever want to do something that you wrote off because you didn't think it was practical?  I'd love to hear your stories!

Have a happy weekend, and good luck with your unjobbing pursuits!! ;)  

No comments:

Post a Comment