Thursday, September 3, 2009

Here it is!

So, since my last post we haven't worked on our house much. We wanted to finish the house we had been working on. All we have left to do before we move back to our house is put a little more sheeting on the front of the house, tar paper the front and shingle. The shingles are being delivered today, so maybe I will be shingling the back of the house today.

I truly detest roof work! I don't usually do it, not because I am afraid of heights, probably more because it is slow work and Ia m impatient. I usually keep busy with punch list inside the house. Not this time. There haven't been that many people showing up lately, so I have been up on the roof. It should be okay today if we are shingling. That keeps you busy and goes fast.

The first house we did is ready for finish work! We drove over there last Sunday and it has stucco, drywall, closet shelves, doors, trim, and window sills! It looked COMPLETELY different! I almost didn't recognize it! Its amazing how a little stucco and drywall can make it feel like a home. Jason and Jeff's houses are due for drywall this week and probably stucco soon after!

We should all be back at our house on Saturday and we are hoping we will be ready for trusses by the following Saturday! The walls always go up fast, its just the roof that takes forever. I am really excited to finally see our house come to life! We have been waiting since January and at times it seemed like it was never going to happen, so I am really happy that it finally is!

We still would love volunteers so come on down!


Some of my handy work. This is the rim board on top of the green plate. It usually takes a few days to do this, and I'm not sure if it was the simplicity of the house plan, my expertise, or the fact that there were a lot of people helping, but we did all of that in 3 hours!


More rim and green plate. Here you can also see our teeny porch and all that wood laying on the floor is in our garage.

These are our load bearing walls in the basement. They were built, but they left before they were stood.

Laying the joists down. If you'll notice to the left we slid the joists right over the stairs. It would be fine if we wanted no access to our basement. Still making mistakes:)

The fixed mistake. We just had to cut a hole for where the stairs will go and put rim going around it. That hole will eventually hold our stairs. And if you look at the back of the picture they even put some flooring on. That's as far as we've come.

No comments:

Post a Comment